What information do we collect? How do we use it?
At times we may request that you voluntarily supply us with personal information which may include sensitive personal information such as employment details, salary, bank account details and proof of ID. Generally this information is requested when you apply for finance on one of our vehicles.
We may gather and use information about you in the following ways:
- We will use and share your information obtained through our application process with selected lenders in order to process your application for finance products / services and to generate a finance quotation.
- We will use your personal information, which may include personal sensitive information, and information we obtain from other sources for dealing with your enquiries, administration and customer services, considering and processing your application for our products and/or services, for marketing, for credit searches and to ensure that the content, services and advertising that we offer are tailored to your needs and interests.
- All telephone calls are recorded for security, training and monitoring purposes.
- We will pass on any information you provide to us and any information we collect from other sources about you to potential lenders and insurers, in order for them to assess your application.
It is important that you provide us with accurate information
If false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified, details will be passed to fraud prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information. We and other organisations may also access and use this information to prevent fraud and money laundering, for example, when:
- Checking details on applications for credit and credit related or other facilities
- Managing credit and credit related accounts or facilities
- Recovering debt
- Checking details on proposals and claims for all types of insurance
- Checking details of job applicants and employees
We may disclose personal data in order to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
We may keep your information for a reasonable period for these purposes.
By providing us with your personal information you consent to our processing your personal information for the above purposes.
How do we use your information for marketing?
Where you have agreed, we may share your information with our business partners for marketing purposes or we may send you information about other organisations' goods and services. We may contact you by mail, telephone, fax, email or other electronic messaging service with offers of products, services or information that may be of interest to you. If you do not wish to receive marketing information from us or our business partners, other than on the goods and/or services which you have requested information about, please indicate this when submitting your personal information or contact us using the details below.
How do we protect your information?
We take appropriate measures to ensure that the information disclosed to us is kept secure, accurate and up to date.
How long do we keep your information?
We will only keep your information for as long as we reasonably need it, which may include:
- Finance Agreement and Application Form – we may store this information for up to 6 years for compliance, regulatory reporting and legal obligations.
- Personal details for marketing – we may store your personal information for marketing activities for the greater of the duration of your finance agreement or 6 years, alternatively if you have not taken out a finance product, for a period of 2 years following your application.
- Document Proofs – We may store your proofs of ID documentation for the duration of your finance agreement.
You are entitled to the following in relation to your data:
- Ask for a copy of the information we hold about you (for which we may charge a small fee);
- Request the deletion of your personal data (subject to any prevailing regulatory or statutory obligations);
- To have any inaccuracies in your information corrected;
- That your data is transferred to a third party;
- To complain to a supervisory authority.
In order to request any of the above, please either email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the number below. To make a complaint, please visit our complaints policy.
When and how to contact us
If your personal information changes, if you change your mind about any of your marketing preferences or if you have any queries about how we use your information, please let us know by contacting our mailing exclusion team at:
The Car Company
01926 498 434